вторник, 23 октября 2012 г.

Realizations and New Expectations.

I read some chapters of the book. To be honestly, it didn`t bring me so much pleasure I expected. That is because there are a lot of difficult words, which I even couldn`t find in the dictionary. But , in spite of this, I understood the contents of these chapters. And at first I found out who are the characters.

The main character is a boy Philip Pirrip, who names himself Pip. He is an orphan. He never saw his parents. He can only imagine how were they, looking at their tombstones:.(The shape of the letters on my father's, gave me an odd idea that he was a square, stout, dark man, with curly black hair. From the character and turn of the inscription, "Also Georgiana Wife of the Above," I drew a childish conclusion that my mother was freckled and sickly. )

Pip lives with his elder sister and her husband. She is not a good-looking woman. She is very strict  with her brother , and by the way, with her husband as well. The latter is a like a friend for Philip. He differs much from his wife. Even Pip says that he doesn`t understand how could he marry his sister :(
She was not a good-looking woman, my sister; and I had a general impression that she must have made Joe Gargery marry her by hand).

There appears one more character, already in the 1st chapter. This is a strange man whom Pip meets once in the graveyard. He is very fearful, with the iron on his leg. He looked like a wild man. Probably he is the criminal, who escaped .

So far this is all.  Next I expect to find out  more about the characters. Then I think that  soon there will  begin many actions,  adventures. I haven`t read enough to understand  what is this story about. Therefore this week I hope the reading will be more successfull!)

2 комментария:

  1. Dear Anne,

    don't let the difficulty of the first pages interfere with your reading. The book is truly interesting. As I have told you while reading individually you shouldn't focus on every single word, just on those that are crucial in undersdanding the meaning of a passage. Sometimes you can guess from the context what the meaning might be.

    And one more thing, don't you find the methods of Pip's sister too radical? Do you think her husband was afraid of her?

    Good luck :)
    V.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. I think Pip`s sister is too severe and, her husband is afraid of her. She wants everyone must do as she likes. She is not interested in her brother`s and husband`s opinion and doesn`t ask them that they want. It is depressing to live with a such person, I think.

    ОтветитьУдалить